Roman Holiday

Dear Audrey Hepburn,
You were right about Rome. It made me want to steal a Vespa and cut off all my hair, too. 
Love, Me



[ From my travel journal]
Rome: Day 1

The train ride was beautiful. Lush green landscapes were framed by a slate-gray, cloudy sky, and it was just chilly enough and just damp enough to make a nap sound perfect. The rolling hills sliding by reminded me of the road trips we used to take as a family to North Carolina. It would inevitably start raining while we were driving through the mountains, and that view from the backseat echoed in my thoughts as I sat on the train gazing out.

Once there, we decided to walk to the Coliseum, because we couldn't wait to get a taste of Rome. We literally stood in awe of its magnificence. I can't describe how beautiful it looked all lit up and looming over the skyline. Elisandra even cried, but you didn't hear it from me. In front of this huge, ancient amphitheater, we talked about our impressions of the city so far. Then we took a stroll around the crumbling structure, taking pictures and mental notes. We all became a little nostalgic, missing home and the people we couldn't share this amazing moment with.

On the way back to our hostel, we had a conversation about our careers and the future and growing up. The idea of adulthood, while noticeable on the horizon, still seems so foreign in the midst of the adventures of college life. Fortunately, growing up doesn't have to mean never having fun, and I'm excited to pursue something I'm really passionate about.

Rome is already changing me.

Rome: Day 2

Buon giorno, bella città! The day started off much too early, but with a promise of caffeine, so all was forgiven. The sky threatened rain, and thunder murmured in agreement.

First goal: get inside the Coliseum. Indecisive at first, we finally chose a line and stood in it. That seems to be a unique trait among Americans: when we see a line, we assume those people must know what they're doing and immediately decide to follow suit.

Success! Our first view inside the ancient gladiator dwelling was magnificent. My sense of emotion/amazement stemmed from several things: 


  • I was standing in one of the most well-known historic landmarks in the world (which will do wonders for one's sense of life accomplishment, I assure you)
  • The beauty of the ruins could've rated it the 8th Wonder of the World, and
  • I was sharing the moment with two of the sweetest girls I've met.
It was truly a blessing to experience Rome with Elisandra. She was as bright-eyed and mystified as I was, and more so. For instance, she got emotional at the Coliseum, and told us that Rome was the reason she had worked so hard in physical therapy, that the Coliseum had been her motivation for months as she dreamed of one day being able to climb up its steps with a healed knee. "Jesus, thank you so much!" she cried ecstatically. Such a moving story, and I had the awesome opportunity to share in its happy ending.
Piazza Navona


The rest of the day played out very much like a Hollywood film: long walks through narrow streets, acknowledged silences at famous landmarks, picking flowers on an afternoon stroll, getting caught in the rain! Weather played a prominent role in our tour of the City of Seven Hills, as constantly changing as our philosophic moods.

My favorite part of the day had to be the lunch we ate in Trastevere, one of the quaintest neighborhoods in Rome with cafes and pastry shops filling the piazzas. It was at one of these that I dined on the best margherita pizza I've ever had. Not an exaggeration. We sat outside under a covered portico, watching the rain come and go and talking about everything and nothing. 




Mouth of Truth
I feel as if I relived the Roman Holiday of 1953, meandering in the same steps as Audrey Hepburn. I didn't meet Gregory Peck, and I won't be returning to a palace to fulfill my royal duty, but she and I have shared something, something to be cherished for many years to come.





A beautiful, peaceful, spontaneous, unforgettable, life altering yet completely and simply satisfying day. But I really couldn't describe it to you...
Trevi Fountain

Rome: Day 3

As I write this, Mac is humming "Moon River" as we rest from the day's activities, which is rather a perfect theme for this weekend. Something about Rome makes me relax and walk a little slower, taking time to look and smell and taste. Rome was a wish come true, and just like a falling star, I'll put the memory in my pocket and save it for a rainy day. (Too cheesy? Sorry. I can't help it.)

St. Peter's Basilica greeted us this morning. The stone sparkled in the sun, and we were happy to be alive. Walking into the cavernous sanctuary seemed to shrink us in size; miniature tourists dotted the scene. 



Each ceiling was more beautiful than the last. How is that possible?! My neck started to ache from staring up at man's rendition of the heavens. I thought I'd be too distracted by the flock of tourists and too saddened by the overwhelming superficiality of their flashing cameras to have a moment of worship and adoration for the Son of God. 


But then I saw Michelangelo's Pieta


Christ's body was just so lifeless in his mother's arms. His death was so real in that depicted moment as a sacrificial lamb. So hopeless in death... yet so glorious in resurrection. Mary's peaceful face as she holds her son - well, it's all beyond comprehension. The image was so evocative, mindful of future glory even in its tragic present.

Thank you, Jesus.


We also experienced the Sistine Chapel, which led to some interesting discussions about what makes something beautiful. Would you recognize beauty without someone telling you it's beautiful? Good stuff.

Our last night in Rome, there was a festival going on to celebrate the founding of the city. This meant everywhere was more crowded than usual, but it also meant that we got to see fireworks and be part of the celebration. To top it off, on the way to the Spanish Steps, we drove by the red carpet premiere of "The Avengers"! We went back and talked to one of the security guys, who confirmed it. We had been within feet (or should I say meters since I'm in Europe?) of Scarlett Johansson and Chris Hemsworth.

Where the premiere for "The Avengers" was!

Ah yes, it's been the perfect Roman Holiday.

"Two drifters, off to see the world. 
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end, waitin' round the bend,
My huckleberry friend, moon river and me." 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Marie....after your attempt to put the word "beautiful" into words all I can do is cry while I'm reading this and tell you.........truly.....you are beautiful. And.....I LOVE cheese! :) The more cheese the better if you ask me! :) Muah from OK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Your eloquence, sensibility (in the Jane Austen sense), kindness, faith, and references to movies and songs all touched me. I'm tremendously happy that you had the opportunity to come to Italy, that you were able to travel to Rome with Elisandra and Mac, and that I got to know you!

    ReplyDelete