Che Sará, Sará

Ciao a tutti,

My days are getting busier, and I love it! So many experiences in such a short time. I'll have to start making a list of firsts. First cappuccino, first six-course meal, first time using that odd, awkwardly tiny bath/shower contraption... There are a lot of things to get used to, and since I'm still in the honeymoon period of my stay, I'm enjoying all of them.

Well, maybe 'enjoy' isn't the right word. I can appreciate my experiences, good and bad. For instance, I don't necessarily enjoy getting stuck in a tiny European elevator between the second and third floor, but I can recognize the fact that it will make a funny story later. I'm not particularly fond of our leaking radiator or the washing machine that gives me an electrical shock whenever I touch it, but I can appreciate that overcoming these obstacles will make me more independent. I wouldn't verbally invite everyone on the sidewalk to bump into me and not apologize or say excuse me, but as it is I can practice my dodging abilities. I'll have excellent dexterity upon my return.

Your experiences are what you make of them, so why not make them positive? Accept dysfunction and disorder without complaint, because these syncopations turn the basic rhythms of everyday life into a ragtime melody.

This is the basic premise of my blog. In fact, the name is derived from a Doris Day song called "Que Sera Sera" which, in Spanish, loosely means "what will be, will be." I've translated it to Italian for obvious reasons, but you get the idea. It's a reminder, nay, a challenge, to live and let be. It's a manifesto of sorts to give up trying to control my life and trust in a higher power to get me through. Although we can't predict the future, we can be prepared for it. So, dear readers, take the advice of Miss Doris. Whether or not you'll be handsome and rich, stop worrying and appreciate the value of every experience.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -- Matthew 6: 34

1 comment:

  1. Reading this post reminds me of a thought I had during my "Italian" style lunch today...it was a stereotypical pasta, salad, bread, and wine meal, and I thought to myself, "I wonder if this is an accurate perception of modern Italian culture. Do they REALLY eat pasta all the time, and with these kinds of sides every time? If they do, is it really sweet like this or more on the spicy side, etc.?" Interesting thoughts.

    My older brother and his wife took a vacation in the countryside of Italy, and between their adventures and yours, it makes me want to go now! :p

    Anyway, it sounds like you're having an unforgettable experience! Ciao!

    -Tyler

    ReplyDelete