Journey to Arezzo

Buon giorno! I just spent my first night in Italy. It's about 8 am here, and this is the view from the bed & breakfast I'm staying at:
     So let's recount the last 36 hours, shall we?
     After my first flight to Washington, D.C., I had a layover of an hour and a half, so I checked my email. The first message was from my study abroad advisor telling me that the girl I was supposed to be flying over with had been rejected at the airport because the start date on her visa was not until January 16th, and the airport official thought it likely that immigration officials in Rome would either send her back or detain her for three days! You can imagine my anxiety as I boarded that plane to Rome.
     The next 8 hours were spent feeling a mixture of excitement and terror. I finally decided not to worry about what would happen. I got out my iPod, and the plane landed as I listened to "Fly Me to the Moon" by Frank Sinatra. Thankfully, I had no problems at passport control (some guy barely even looked at my papers).
     Next on the agenda: get to Arezzo. I had a vague idea of how to do this, but for some reason signs in Italian are a little more confusing than signs in English. Go figure. I ended up giving a guy some money and getting on a bus. Even if the bus didn't take me where I needed to go, I figured I would get a nice tour of Rome out of it, and I did. The small part of the city I saw was very cool, a blend of ancient and modern, with a little rustic thrown in. When Katy Perry came on the radio (and the bus driver started nodding his head to the beat), the globalization process was complete.Fortunately, the bus stopped at the train station, where I bought a ticket to Arezzo. The train was supposed to leave in the next 14 minutes, and I realized I had no idea where the right track was. After some helpful workers pointed the way, I heaved my suitcase on just in time and headed into the countryside.
     Jet lag took over after I made it to the bed & breakfast, and after a nap I met Charlotte and Leanna, who are the OUA representatives here in Arezzo. Charlotte said my apartment would be ready the next morning and gave me a map of the town. I got a slice of pizza for dinner, and then went to bed at 8:30 and slept another 9 hours.
     That is all the detail I can manage for now. Time for breakfast, and then to see my new apartment!

No comments:

Post a Comment