Reflection (not the Disney song from Mulan)

Buona notte,

I realize it's a bit late in the game to be tacking this on now, but this is an integral part of my study abroad experience, and I wanted to start it off right.

Kristen Partridge, the Director of Student Affairs at OU, came to talk to us at the end of last semester in preparation of going abroad. She spoke about communication and identity and ideologies, the good and bad about being in a different culture, the importance of perceptions and expectations. It was all very good, and she left us with questions to reflect on before we leave, after we get there, and after coming back. I think this is a great way to document my self-actualization process and all that jazz, so here I go.

1. How and why did you choose the particular location of your study abroad? Who or what influenced your choice?
I first got the idea to study abroad in Italy from my sister, who wanted to do the same thing but ended up deciding she would rather graduate a year early. I have always loved Italy and the Italian language and culture, and I wanted to immerse myself in it for a while. Being a sociology major, the thought of learning about a group of people and how they interact with each other is thrilling to me.

2. What expectations and what pre-conceived notions do you have of your host culture?
When Kristen asked this, she asked what visual image we pictured when we think of Italy. She said that if we can recognize that as an expectation, we will know why we have or have not felt satisfied with our experience abroad. My expectation? An old man in a suit riding a bicycle. Don't ask me why, but if I don't see an old man riding a bike (and the suit is very important) I will not be completely satisfied. Also, children yelling while running through a vineyard. I don't know why they are yelling, but they must be yelling - and running - in a vineyard. 

Pre-conceived notions are silly.

3. What are your expectations about your academic program? What do you hope to learn, and how do you envision the instructors and learning environments?
When I think of the classes I will be taking in Italy, I imagine lectures in front of a statue. I imagine very small class sizes and getting to know professors very well. I'm sure they will be time consuming, but I hope my classes are not going to be too difficult and that I will be able to apply everything I learn to my understanding of Italian history and culture.

4. How do you feel about leaving home and campus? What are you glad you'll be leaving behind? What do you think you'll miss?
It's definitely a bittersweet departure. I am so excited for Italy. I can't wait to experience... everything. Language, food, beauty. On the other hand, I am really going to miss the community I have at OU and all of the close-knit friends I have there, as well as my family, not to mention that I'll miss speaking English all of the time.

5. What ideologies are you taking with you? 
This is a tough question. It's like asking what my worldview is, but how can I describe objectively something I have always thought to be true? Here's the best I can do: I am definitely not as fashion-conscious as most Italians; I just don't care about brands, about presentation, about material wealth that much. I also believe in common courtesies, especially with strangers, and I guess I expect everyone else to abide by the same standards. 

I'm not sure what ideologies I am taking with me, but they will certainly make themselves known in time, especially if they clash with the ideologies I encounter along the way. I welcome the challenge, because being aware of your own perspective is the gateway to recognizing everyone else's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment